120 Format Pinhole Camera project


I started this project on Father's Day and since today was a holiday I had a chance to make bit more progress on it. One small part has slowed me down a bit more than I anticipated, it's a small T-shaped part that fits into the film spindle.





The spindle has a T-slot in the end that this fits into. The part is threaded in the center and has a brass cross piece. I intend to put this part into the spindle, put the spindle in camera, then a shaft will thread into this part so I can advance the film by turning a knob on the top of the camera. Here's picture of the top of the spindle, you can see the slot.


The small part I have made fits into the slot like this:


The top of the camera will have a hole for a shaft that will screw into the small fitting. I will make knob that attaches to the shaft on the top of the camera so I can turn the knob to wind film onto the spindle thereby advancing the film.







I'm sure it is hard to envision all of this and I have not drawn plans so you'll have to wait to see how this develops. The black frame you see above is made of pieces of plastic glued together with super glue. A spool of film will go on one side and an empty spool will go on the other. The film will run across the frame, which is 56mm tall by 84mm wide - this format is called "6 x 9". This is the same aspect ratio as 35mm film but nearly twice the size.

The black plastic frame will be inset into a wooden frame, it will look like a small wooden box with a couple of knobs on the top that I will use to advance the film after I take a picture. There no lens, I have a pinhole that was cut into metal with a laser. Pinhole is 0.3mm in diameter and will be 67mm from the film - this distance will give me the sharpest image possible with the diameter of pinhole I'm using.

That's all I have for now, I will post updates as I progress.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Score!