The Trans-Pac segment

8:30p
The trip from SFO to LAX was cramped and uneventful - still waiting for United Airlines to shine. In all fairness, the UA personnel have been really great it's just the UA processes and policies that have been disappointing.

I'm sitting in the international terminal at LAX charging my electric devices and killing time before my long flight to Melbourne. I'm sharing the charging station with a couple of young ladies from New Zealand - we're all headed in the same direction.

I think I will sleep well on the next segment, I hope.

11:30p - ish
Finally wheels up. The Boeing 787-9 is a wide plane, I had plenty of room and I had strategically chosen a window seat. I like the window on a long flight that I plan to sleep on as I can put a pillow against the window so I have something to lean against.

Middle of the night - constantly shifting, trying to sleep. The economy seats don't really recline much so most of my weight is on my tail bone and it doesn't take long before I have to shift or maybe lean forward to relieve the pain and try to get another 30 - 40 minutes of sleep. Repeat through the night.

The back of the seat in front of me has a touch screen for in-flight entertainment. Mostly this is a great thing but there are a few flaws. You can turn it off so it goes dark when you're trying to sleep - great. To re-activate the screen just touch it - nice - until you lean a little too far forward while sleeping and the thing lights up your world - not so nice. Then there's the notice that pops up when the flight attendants key the mic for the intercom - just letting you know there is an important announcement, even if it's not important - that's like a flash light in your face at random moments through out your voyage.

The flight was 15 hours and 50 minutes, let me tell you that is a long time to be in the air! I did manage to sleep some, watched some movies, and ate what they put in front of me - I survived.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Score!